Monday, January 18, 2021

Ugh! Maybe It's Time for a New Approach to Healthy Living

At this time last year I weighed 258 pounds--not the heaviest I've ever been, but pretty damn close. 
Over the next several months I managed to lose 28 pounds and was 230 by September. Then I just got lazy -- lazy about exercise, lazy about diet, lazy about caring. Ugh!

Now I find myself back at 248 pounds and basically starting over at a year older. I add the year older because I'm finding age to be a contributing factor in the increased difficulty of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. 
My new approach is to make this more of a mind-body-spirit health kind of journey. I have some thoughts on how this will look and feel, but I'm not entirely sure how to express them at this point. There will most certainly be some Eastern influence in the way of meditation and philosophy, perhaps also in the physical exercise part. Although a person wouldn't normally consider reading to be a part of a weightloss or healthy living program, I think that reading will most definitely fuel the mental and even spiritual health part and be a significant contributor to the physical health. 

One of the gifts we gave to ourselves this past Christmas was an Instant Pot Duo. It's a pretty multifunctional kitchen device that can cook, slow cook, pressure cook, bake, hot air fry, and more. It's easy to use and easy to clean. Although we are still on a discovery journey with it, we've used it in preparing most of our meals. Of course, the fixing healthy foods part and consuming smaller portions is still up to us.

A new approach to an old struggle.
Let's see how this goes.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment