Thursday, January 4, 2018

Zucchini Pizza Boats

Just thought I'd share my latest experiment. I call them Zucchini Pizza Boats.
We had some frozen cooked sausage and ground beef so I decided to use them for a quick meal. We also had about half a jar of pizza sauce left from a New Year's Eve pizza and a few slices of pepperoni.

I chopped up some onion and a poblano pepper and cooked them in a cast iron skillet with a little coconut oil. Then I added the meat and some garlic powder and Italian seasoning. While stuff was cooking, I cut a couple of zucchinis in half lengthwise and scooped out the middle.



In hind sight, I should have brushed them with olive oil and garlic and baked them for a little bit before adding the meat mixture.




I covered them with the meat mixture, added pizza sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella and baked it for 15 minutes at 400f.



A few minor tweaks in seasoning and process and I think it will be better next time.
I'm thinking about leaving out the ground beef and adding some mushrooms and spinach leaves. I would have liked the 'shrooms and spinach this time but it was kind of a last minute idea and experiment.
It would be easy to go meatless if you want or even vegan, if that's your thing.

John <><

No comments:

Post a Comment