Monday, October 20, 2014

Week 2 of the exercise routine...

Okay,
So week one wasn't quite as expected--not a complete failure, but not quite as planned, either.

I realize that part of that has to do with the simple fact that I'm not going to be that guy that has to get it done. I'm actually pleased with four days on the weight machine (instead of the planned six). Although I'm not as happy with the fewer days walking, I'm still not upset about it.

I see it as having done four more days of weights than I did in previous weeks and getting in a couple of days of yoga along with that. All-in-all, it is still a matter of time more than motivation. I'm going to make some adjustments this week, M/W/F strength days (legs/back, arms/shoulders, chest/back) and T/Th circuit training days and a little ab work every day. I'll leave Saturday as an off day or make up day should life get in the way during the week and keep Sunday as a light day for walking, running or other light cardio.

I haven't been back to a yoga class with Chris (and need to go) but have used yoga as a way of stretching and strengthening at the end of several sessions. I am continuing to get more limber and increasing my range of motion while strengthening my core. I'm considering substituting some of the weight machine exercises for simple body weight exercises. I like the idea of simplicity and realize that the machine does isolate muscle groups rather than using the more natural body systems for overall balance and motion. It's just a matter of convenience, space and weight that makes the machine attractive.

I realize that I am fortunate to have the in home equipment that I have, but also realize that the gym and gym equipment is not necessary to be in good physical condition. I am more than willing to trade a day of activity (like the three hours of yard work on Saturday) for a day of "working out" at the gym or at home.

It's Monday morning.
Time to get this week started!

Be well,
John <><

1 comment:

  1. John, looks like you are hanging in there with the exercise.

    ReplyDelete