Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Non-dairy Pumpkin dessert (+my modifications)

I saw this posted on Twitter and decided that I'd give it a try.


I made it according to the recipe with the exception of using regular pancake syrup (Log Cabin) instead of real maple syrup. I'm not a fan of soft, rotting bananas, so the bananas I used were pretty firm. I probably should have pre-mashed them a bit before throwing them into the mix.

After tasting the mix, I thought the pumpkin taste was a little strong, so I added a cup of plain Greek yogurt. I'm not vegan, nor do I have a lactose problem, so adding yogurt works well for me. The bananas give it plenty of sweetness so I will probably cut the syrup amount to 1/4c and use honey instead. I'd also add a little more nutmeg and maybe more cinnamon.

It freezes pretty hard if you let it freeze over night (kind of like freezing homemade ice cream). I was mixing it every 40 minutes or so for a few hours to help it freeze evenly. My suggestion is to make it several hours before serving it and serve it the same day you prepare it.

I also think that adding pieces of baked pie crust would be delicious or serving it in mini pie crusts would be good.

If you try this, be sure to let me know what you think!

John <><

1 comment:

  1. John, my interest in pumpkin is limited. so probably not a fan of your recipe for ice cream. I'm sure pumpkin lovers would be thrilled with it. I'm sticking with pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete