Thursday, September 4, 2014

Back to Cycling

A few days ago, I wrote this short piece at Out of My Hat about going green.

Yesterday, I managed to buy a cheap bicycle to replace the one I had been using (my daughter's).
Since I'm not an avid cyclist and I don't need it for anything more than getting some exercise, I hated to spend much money on a bicycle. I bought about the cheapest thing that would suit my size and will start riding again.

I was doing most of my riding on my mid-shift breaks and I'm trying to get out of the mid business, so I don't know when I'll get my riding in. Southwest Missouri isn't too biker friendly, with few bike trails and no bicycle lanes. As a matter of fact, there are very few shoulder areas on which to ride. I like using the airport terminal loop at night--it's well lit and there is little traffic. I managed a little over 12 1/2 miles last night.

There is a neighborhood loop that I walk for a few miles and I could use it for cycling. It would be relatively safe but I'm afraid it might get boring. I guess I'll have to weigh the safety factor against the boredom factor and just make sure that I'm getting the ride time in--after all, it is about the exercise.

I'm also going to try a few other things in the way of exercise and conditioning. I think some shorter, more intense workouts are going to find there way into my days. Truthfully, I just don't have the desire to get crazy about being fit. I just want to be a healthy fit, not a fanatic fit.

I would like to be able to bike or walk more when it comes to short errands. I guess I'll look at bicycle locks and scope out areas where that will work. I'm not sure how far I think is too far when it comes to bicycle errands. I suppose that time will also play its part in those decisions. Overall, I'm just trying to be more mindful about good healthy habits and making good environmental choices, as well. They do kind of go together.

Another yoga class tonight, then working a second mid before taking a week off!

Be well,
John <><

1 comment:

  1. Imagine the gas money you are saving by riding your bicycle!

    ReplyDelete