Saturday, August 1, 2020

August 1

It's August!
July wasn't a great month on the journey towards better health. It wasn't really a bad month; more like a sit and pause kind of month. Overall I made a little progress, but I've definitely used the extra days I built into setting my next interim goal.
But that's okay. I'm on it, and I'm still at a point where a pretty normal weight loss rate will work.

Yesterday was a good diet day. I had good foods and in decent portions to feel satisfied throughout the day and was still able to enjoy a beer while BBQing and some peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert and come in below my daily calorie allotment.

When I consider what I am able to consume and still lose weight, it's easy to see how our typical American diets are way too large in size and way too full of poor quality calories. Our abundance of processed foods and the availability has led us to such poor eating habits. Changing the mindset surrounding food is quite the challenge for me.

It has been an unexpected perk of the current pandemic, but eating at home has helped in this journey toward better health. Preparing real food and in healthier portions has made the journey easier. I hope that we continue in this manner long after the effects of the pandemic pass and restaurant dining returns to normal.

I'm currently down almost 40 pounds from where I was at this time a year ago; -28 pounds from this past spring. I feel pretty good. After all, better health is the goal. Lower weight is just one of the indicators.

Be well, 
John

No comments:

Post a Comment