Friday, June 12, 2015

Protein Powered Weight Loss

A while back a friend of mine mentioned that she best maintained her ideal weight when she kept a diet that included 100 grams of protein per day. I thought that to be a little high given her petite frame. However, I have increased my protein to more than 150 grams per day and it has really helped in energy, stamina and weight loss.

Increasing my protein has decreased my carbohydrate intake (which is good) and also tends to increase my fat intake a small amount, but not enough to bother me. Most of my carbs come from fruits and vegetables. I do eat some grains, but try to keep them to a minimum and eat whole grains when I can.

Although we still eat out quite frequently, managing to eat healthy isn't as difficult as you might think. It just requires a little planning and discipline. Portion control is the biggest challenge when eating out. Even healthy foods in too large portions can ruin your calorie intake for the day. I heard an ad today for Red Robin's Double Tavern burger with unlimited fries. (Okay, that's not a healthy food, but I'm looking portions right now.) Even without a second helping of fries, this little burger and fries is more than half of my daily calories and more than my daily fat allotment.

The internet and a few simple apps on your smart phone can be used to your advantage when dining out. Most chains have nutrition information available and other foods can be easily estimated.

Keeping my protein intake up has helped me. Maybe it will help you, too.

Be well,
John <><

1 comment:

  1. I got what you mean,saved to fav, very decent website.

    ReplyDelete