Friday, June 23, 2017

Midweek progress

I'm not going to be one that steps on the scale and records weight every day during my experiment in dieting, but the midweek number was surprisingly good!

My healthy eating plan to get me off to a good start is more about focusing on increasing my protein intake than about counting calories. I'm still using the My Fitness Pal app to keep track since it does this for me and has a pretty extensive data base when it comes to eating out. The protein focus reminds me of the days when I was reading and using much of the Adkins philosophy. Reducing sugar and starchy carbs is a part of what I'm doing, but not as restrictive as the Adkins induction phase. Right now, I'm more about shifting the way my body processes calories and builds new muscle tissue.

I'm also adding in a minimal amount of exercise to my daily routine. The exercise is to serve two purposes -- 1, to build a little strength and increase my metabolism (I guess that's already two) and 2, to start to establish a habit of regular exercise. One might think that I have all the time in the world to exercise now that I'm retired, but the simple truth is that isn't how I want to spend my time. I'm more interested in finding the minimum exercise that I can do to maintain a healthy lifestyle and sticking to that.

The experiment continues...

John
The Unhealthy Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment