Monday, July 20, 2015

Re-assessment Time

I've been pushing my daily step total in spite of a nagging heel injury. I'm not certain if it's a bruised Achilles tendon or heel pain from the plantar tendon. I've changed my stride, added shoe inserts, done a number of things to bring relief and just endured the discomfort -- all for the sake of the goal!

It's time to stop.

I'm going to take it easy for a little while. I'll get my exercise in some other way. I know that I'll miss taking my walks (not so much the running part), but I think that it's necessary for a little while. I'll give it a couple of weeks, then reassess -- again.

I'll admit that part of me feels like a bit of a wienie for doing this. You know that voices that we all heard growing up -- "Shake it off," "Don't give up," "Work through it!" "No pain, no gain!"

I suppose that I can ignore those voices now that I have no one to impress, no team counting on my performance and no real ego to maintain. I can afford to listen to the sensible voice that says "Let the heel heal."

And so I will.

John <><

No comments:

Post a Comment