Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Why I Run

I know that there are lots of people that like running.
I am not one of them.
I can't say that I hate running. I don't. But I definitely can't say that I like it either.

The only thing that running does for me is cover distance faster than walking.
And because I'm not a fast runner, it is not a great deal faster. If I am walking quickly, it takes me 15 to 16 minutes to cover a mile. Most days it's more like 17 to 18 minutes per mile.
If I am running, it takes me about ten minutes.

I know that there are heart and health benefits that I get from running over walking; those just aren't that important to me. Most days, I'm not even that concerned about getting my workout in more quickly because time has become less important to me in retired life.

I don't walk with anyone.
I don't run with anyone.
I don't stop to enjoy the view or worry about doing laps around the neighborhood or taking a longer circuit through town.
I just put in the steps and cover the miles.

I suppose that building speed and endurance will help me to run longer and finish more quickly. I am feeling better as I run and my endurance is improving. I can honestly say that I'm not doing much to work on increasing my speed. I don't plan on running any races so I don't really see the point. On most days, I am perfectly content to walk. For whatever reason, once in a while I decide to run.

Maybe I will get to the point that I like to run.
Maybe not.
But I will run.

Not fast.
Not far.
But, occasionally, I will run.

John <><

No comments:

Post a Comment