Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sleep

It has been a while since I've had an exceptionally poor night's sleep ... until last night.

For the most part, I've been pretty mindful of my late day caffeine intake but I had a little more than my usual nothing yesterday and paid for it with a poor night of rest.

I thought about getting up several times during the night, but opted for just benefiting from resting even though I wasn't asleep. I have found that resting quietly often leads to a full sleep cycle before waking again and having to restart the sleep process. Now that it is early morning and too late to manage another complete cycle, I decided to get up and enjoy a cup of coffee and the quiet time.

Back in the day, afternoon caffeine never bothered me. I guess one benefit to sleep deprivation is that your body can shut off and sleep whenever you get the chance!

It's funny that it was just yesterday that I was posting on a thread about sleep. For the past year (since retiring) I have slept better than ever. My 4.5 hours per night (sometimes 3) has nearly doubled to 7.5 hours per night. I sleep until I'm finished sleeping and feel great. At 4.5 hours, I don't remember feeling tired and I usually woke up without an alarm. But a regular sleep schedule does wonders for an overall feeling of well being.

I'll do better about watching the caffeine consumption past noon, even on the unusual days like yesterday. I managed three full sleep cycles last night so I'll be good for today and will rest well tonight.

Live well.
Eat well.
Rest well.

John <><

No comments:

Post a Comment