Sunday, August 17, 2014

Activity vs Exercise

Yes, I am definitely becoming a person that is about daily exercise. But let's face it, the only reason most of us need regular exercise periods is because we are not active enough in our normal, daily routines.

Even if you throw out the mile walk around the park perimeter yesterday, I still managed almost 10,000 steps. We played catch in the park, hit a few balls (and chased a few), walked to lunch (and back), walked a good distance from parking to the ballpark (and back) and had a very enjoyable time!

Even though there was no "cardio" and no strength building, I can see why many cultures are less focused on fitness and more healthy than we are. My normal routine takes me from my home to my car to where ever I want to go. I walk the few step from parking and reverse that to return.

I wonder how much the urban flight of decades past contributed to our obesity problem and the general decline in public health. Where I live, there are no neighborhood stores, neighborhood schools, nor neighborhood churches. There are just neighbors (that we don't know very well).
There are few sidewalks and no road shoulders or bicycle lanes. This safest way to get from your home to where you are going is to get into your car.

Unfortunately, most of rural America is like this. Unfortunately, most of our suburbs are like that (except for maybe the sidewalk thing). And unfortunately, most of us are just too inactive. We have to have exercise routines just to provide our bodies with activity that our daily routines are missing.

I expect that today will be mildly active. I expect that tomorrow will not. I'll be back to my normal, inactive routine and I'll once again be compelled to force activity (by way of exercise) into my day.

How are you staying active? Is yours an active lifestyle or are you forced to set aside time for physical activity (exercise)? Or do you just choose to remain inactive?

Whether you lead an active life or get your activity through exercise, it's important to your overall health.

Good health and exercise really isn't just about adding days to your life. It's about adding life to your days.
You'll feel better.
You'll live better.
You'll be better!

Be well,
John <><

2 comments:

  1. I walk daily about 40 minutes and do a little strength training. More importantly I try not to sit the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does help to have a dog to walk. I feel that for her health and training I need to get up off my ..... and get moving with her. We walk for about 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete