Saturday, August 30, 2014

Are you still dieting?

Are you still dieting?
It's a question that I get asked from time to time.

My answer is that I was never dieting. I changed my diet.
I wasn't looking for a diet when I finally decided that it was time to lose the extra weight I was carrying around. I knew that I needed to change the way I was eating and the way I was living. I knew that if I couldn't find a sustainable way of living, I would eventually go back to the bad habits and lifestyle of the past and put any lost weight back on.

My diet, my way of life, now consists of mostly healthy foods in portions that are more in line with my needs than to simply eat until I'm stuffed full.

My way of life also includes some regular exercise. It's nothing too strenuous for the most part. I have started doing a little yoga. I don't think that it will replace walking or anything else that I've been doing, but I do like it and look forward to advancing to something more difficult. As it is, the simple stuff is challenging enough for a beginner. The breathing, the balance, the stretching...it's going to be awhile before I get to the really challenging poses and moves.

So...
Are you still dieting?

Let me encourage you to stop with the short-term temporary changes to your eating habits.
Stop dieting and simply change your diet. Eat healthy foods that you like and learn to prepare other healthy foods in different ways so that you can enjoy them, too!  Eat sensible portions and at sensible times based on your physical needs. Learn the value of low calorie density foods and the benefits of eating raw foods and whole foods. Experiment with different foods, spices and preparation methods.

...And stop dieting!

Be well,
John <><

1 comment: