Thursday, April 9, 2015

Dropping Weight ... s l o w l y.

After getting back to steady walking and light exercise for a couple of weeks, the (regained) weight of the winter months is finally starting to melt away. Diet wise, I am also doing better. I never really went back to poor food choices, I was just eating more than I needed to be eating.

To help keep track of how much I'm actually eating, I've gone back to logging all of my intake on My Fitness Pal. It's a handy little app that can track your meals and snacks and will link to most other fitness apps or wearable devices. My Run Keeper miles and calories automatically sync to my My Fitness Pal app. It's pretty handy for keeping track of diet and exercise.

I know there are other apps that can do the same thing or devices that can do it all, but these are the ones that I started with and it is just easier for me to keep up with it. Besides, I really like the data base for foods on My Fitness Pal. It seems to be the best of the other apps that I've tried or looked into.

I'm always a little concerned about diet and exercise on the road. The benefit of walking is that you only need a decent pair of shoes and can walk pretty much anywhere. Diet can be a little trickier. It's easier if I'm eating alone than if I go out with others. On my own I've often just gone to the deli counter for some sliced turkey and picked up some fruit or yogurt to take back to my hotel room. Going out to restaurants with others isn't too bad, but going to someone's house or eating at a church meal  can be tough.

In any case, now that the weight has starting coming off, I plan to keep at it. I've learned that I'm going to always have to monitor my intake in some fashion or risk putting it back on. I don't want that to happen again. I'm working on the philosophy of "I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!"


Be well,
John <><

No comments:

Post a Comment