Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Running

Last week I made an attempt at getting back into running. It's an idea that I've been toying with for some time. I made a start at it last year but was having some foot issues that needed a surgical correction. Although I am not real pleased with the results of the surgery, it did help some and I should be able to run now.

Still, I have put off running. Poor knees, poor condition and lack of real will have all had their part in not running. Enough is enough.

Last week I managed a sequence of walk/run intervals of half miles for four miles and ended with a half mile walk -- two miles of running, two and a half walking. Yesterday I upped the interval to one mile intervals and started with the run for a run/walk/run/walk four mile total. I felt better than I expected. My times were about what I expected with the first mile run at just under eleven minutes and the second one at a little over.

I'm still not convinced that running is going to get into my system in a way that I'll be doing it on a regular basis, but I did feel pretty good the rest of the day. It was that "I had a good workout" tired kind of feeling that makes you feel good about yourself and your day. I finished the day with some good stretching while watching the NCAA basketball final.

Today, I think I'll start out with a little run. I don't know that I'll set a goal distance. Maybe I'll just start running and see how it goes. I know that's not the way to go about building endurance or increasing time but those things aren't really that important to me. I'll just see how I feel at a mile and either go a little longer or stop and walk for a little while. I may or may not run again. We'll see.

It's not goal motivated or anything and it may not work in making a habit of running. For now, that's okay. Right now I'm just interested in getting the miles in (walking or running) and making my daily step goal. I don't plan to run a 5K or anything like that. I'm just trying to maintain a level of fitness that is more healthy than what I've done in the past.

Be healthy.
Be well,

John <><

No comments:

Post a Comment