Sunday, January 31, 2016

February Fitness Goals

In my last post I said that I was going to have to up my fitness game a bit. I have just passed my January goal of walking 100 miles.

For February I am going to keep walking and will use 100 miles again (even though there are two fewer days) and plan to incorporate some running into the 100 mile total. I am also going to do two 30 day challenges which will take me until March 1st to complete.
I have done each of these in different months in the past. I'll be doing them together next month.

The 30-day Ab Challenge and the 30-day 3000 Squat/1000 Push-up Challenge.
That will give me a little upper body, a little lower body and some good core work.
I think I'll leave the Twitter link (and also the Facebook link) turned off for my daily walking and will spare my friends the almost daily posts of the two challenges, as well. My RunKeeper friends will see my walks/runs and I will probably post some progress reports here.

Have a great February.
Be well!

John <><



4 comments:

  1. It's always good to have a goal to work toward. Are all of your walks outdoors or are you on a treadmill inside some? I would love to be able to walk outdoors but I don't mind the treadmill while watching episodes of Downton Abbey.

    I'm loving finding a routine with my workouts although I went a little crazy on my bike last month and made that my main focus while I neglected my walking, elliptical and rowing. I'm going to try and do better in february about finding a nice balance between all of my workouts.

    I'm also focusing on my diet in a way that I haven't before. My LDL cholesterol was 124 (optimal), my HDL was 48 (optimal) but my overall was 211, a little on the high side. My vascular doctor (who is now my regular doctor) wanted to put me on Lipitor to control my cholesterol but I told him I'd prefer to avoid going on that if possible. He's giving me 90 days to see what a change in my diet will do. I know I was letting my diet slacken before seeing him, never having had issues before. We'll know in a few weeks if it's making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walk outside. I will dress for the cold and have even walked in boots with snow on the ground. If it's too icy or cold and rainy, I'll used my indoor exercise bike or nordic track. I'll walk in light rain if it's not too cold and have even got caught in a heavy downpour during the summer.

      I'm also watching the diet. We're eating at home more which really helps since we don't use many processed foods.

      Delete
  2. I think those couple of slices of cheese before going to bed at night weren't helping me any. I'm eating out a lot less as well. Have you tried Morning Star meatless patties? They have them for both breakfast and hamburgers. They actually taste okay for what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried any meatless patties at home but I've had black bean burgers at restaurants before.
    I use the MyFitnessPal app to track food. It has a pretty good data base for restaurants and store bought foods as well. You can set your daily intake by protein, fats and carbs and it will also add in calories from your workouts if you use an app that you can link to it.
    It is surprising at how many extra calories you can add in a day (like cheese late at night). The nutritional breakdown even gives you the total mg of cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete