Thursday, July 10, 2014

Healthy Habits for the Lazy Guy

I am not a fitness nut.
I am not going to engage in a strenuous exercise program.
I am not going to train for a marathon, half marathon or even a 5K run.
I doubt that I'll ever ride a bike for more than an hour.
Or take an overnight trip in a kayak.

I am perfectly happy with an almost daily walk and an occasional challenge to give my exercise a little additional purpose.

I am working on a couple of things that are not at all typical for the lazy guy in me, but they are just something to do so that I can say that I did them.

The thing that I find to be true about exercise is...get this: It's good for you!

I am still convinced that you eat to manage weight and exercise for good health. I know that there are plenty of thin, out of shape, unhealthy people. I don't want to be one of them. So I walk. Sometimes, I run. Occasionally, I ride or paddle or do some other exercise for variety.

Right now, my project is a 100 burpee challenge in twelve minutes.
Burpees are an evil, all body type of exercise that was developed in hell to give us an idea of how well we have it as we live a life with out them. Legs, back, abs, arms, chest and cardio; burpees take care of all of them.
At this point, I'm not convinced that I can even do 100 of the devilish things.

Six months ago I probably couldn't have even done the squat-thrust part of one. For one thing, I couldn't squat past my still shrinking belly to get my hands on the floor in front of me. And I certainly didn't have the abs to pull my extended legs back under me to return to a squatting position, nor the arms to do 100 push-ups (even one at a time). I have until the first Friday of August to get ready for the monthly challenge. That's good, because I like to work up to these things more slowly than your typical fitness nut.

Last night I did 40 in 6 minutes. I'm sure that I could have done more, but like I said earlier, I'm a bit lazy when it comes right down to it. I did 20 in 1 minute, 45 seconds. Then I rested for 1 minute and 45 seconds. For my second set I did 10 in 50 seconds...then I rested for 50 seconds. A final set of 10 in another 50 seconds made 40 in 6 minutes.

In the next three weeks I'll have to increase the sets and decrease the rest time, but I think I can do it.

In the mean time, I'll keep watching what I eat and trying to live the more healthy lifestyle which has become my new normal. If you care to make some simple changes to turn things around as far as weight or health goes, I'd suggest avoiding fast foods and fried foods, drink more water, and take a walk every day.

If you are interested in joining me for the challenge, let me know. I've already had a couple of takers. Why not join us? As it stands, the people that have said they're in are already pretty fit. What ever your fitness level might be, let's set a baseline for August and see if we can't beat it for the first Friday of September.

It'll be fun...NOT!
But it will be for our good health!

John <><




No comments:

Post a Comment