Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Healthy lunch

This past weekend I was in the grocery store and heading toward the checkout lanes when I ran into a friend from church. She comment on my weight loss and noticed my healthy food laden cart. She also said in a statement/question kind of way, "It costs a lot more to eat healthy, doesn't it?"

I responded by saying that I think the greatest cost is in the amount of time it takes to eat healthy. I could tell from her look that she was thinking that she didn't have the time.

I haven't noticed that food costs more. In fact, I have noticed that I eat less food when I eat well. Maybe that helps to offset the higher cost. I don't really know.

I thought I share some of the "healthy" foods that I'm bringing to work these days.

This week I made a chicken salad. In keeping with the "unhealthy guy" theme of the blog, I used canned chicken. If you have the time, you can cook your own chicken breasts to use.

2 large cans on canned chicken
3 hard boiled eggs
4 stalks of celery chopped
some green onions (I don't remember how much)
1 chopped Anaheim pepper
1/2 chopped yellow bell pepper
some roasted sunflower seeds
some pine nuts
some craisins (I just looked to see what we had and threw some stuff in)
a couple of spoonfuls of sweet relish
garlic powder
crushed red peppers
black pepper
dried cilantro (we didn't have any fresh)
and some olive oil mayo

It made a pretty big bowl.

I peeled a cucumber, cut it in half lengthwise and scooped out the seeds with a spoon.
then I filled the halves with the chicken salad.

I get a good tasting salad with no bread. It tastes as good as it looks!



Let me know if you try this!
John <><

No comments:

Post a Comment